What is intelligence?
Two men were digging a ditch on a very hot day. One said to the other, "Why are we down in this hole digging a ditch when our boss is standing up there in the shade of a tree?"
一个非常炎热的夏日,两个人正在挖沟。其中一个对另一个说:“你说为什么我们在沟里挖土,老板却在树荫下站着看?”
"I don't know," responded the other. "I'll ask him."
“我不知道,”另一个人回答说:“你等我去问问他。”
So he climbed out of the hole and went to his boss. "Why are we digging in the hot sun and you're standing in the shade?"
他爬出地沟向老板走去:“为什么我们在大太阳底下挖沟,可是你却在树荫下站着?”
"Intelligence," the boss said.
老板回答说:“因为智慧。”
“What do you mean, ‘intelligence'?”
“什么意思?智慧?”
The boss said, "Well, I'll show you. I'll put my hand on this tree and I want you to hit it with your fist as hard as you can." The ditch digger took a mighty swing and tried to hit the boss' hand.
老板说:“这样吧,我来告诉你。我把手放在树上,你用拳头打我的手,能用多大劲就用多大劲。”于是那个挖沟人抡圆胳膊向老板的手打了过去。
The boss removed his hand and the ditch digger hit the tree. The boss said, "That's intelligence!"
可是老板在最后一刻把手移开了,挖沟人的拳头击在了树上。老板说:“这就是智慧。”
The ditch digger went back to his hole. His friend asked, "What did he say?"
挖沟人回到沟里。他的朋友便问:“他怎么说?”
"He said we are down here because of intelligence."
“他说我们之所以在沟里是因为智慧。”
"What's intelligence?" said the friend.
“什么智慧?”他的朋友问。
The ditch digger put his hand on his face and said, "Take your shovel and hit my hand."
本文地址:http://www.dioenglish.com/writing/humor/43727.html