中国成语寓言故事144:"Presenting Tall Hats"“戴高帽子"(双语)
The Chinese people call flattery to someone's face "presenting a tall hat" to someone.
中国人把当面说奉承话叫做给某人“戴高帽子”。
In the past, an official in the imperial court in Beijing was appointed to an official post outside the capital. Before departure, he went to his teacher's home to bid farewell. His teacher warned him:
在古代,有一个在京城朝廷里做官的人,奉命去外地做官。临行前,他去老师家告别。老师叮嘱说:
"It is not easy to be an official outside the capital. You should be prudent and careful."
“外地的官不容易做,应当谨慎小心些才好。”
The official replied:
那个做官的人回答说:
"Please don't worry. I have prepared 100 `tall hats',and will present one to each and every person I meet. I'm sure all the local people will be pleased."
“请老师放心,我准备了一百顶高帽子,逢人便送他一顶,管叫地方上人人高兴。”
The teacher said reproachingly:
老师生气地说:
"We are all honest gentlemen. How can you do that?"
“我们都是正人君子,怎么可以这样做呢?”
The official pretended he had no way out and said:
那个做官的人装着无可奈何的样子说:
"Very few people under heaven are like you who dislike being flattered or presented with tall hats."
“天下不喜欢戴高帽子的人实在太少了啊!像老师您这样的又能有几个呢!”
Hearing this, the teacher was very much pleased. He nodded and said:
老师听了很高兴,点点头说:
"What you said is true, too."
“你讲的也不错!”
After the official said farewell to his teacher and went out, he said to his friend:
那个做官的人告别老师出来后,对朋友说:
"Of my 100 `tall hats',now only 99 are left."
“我的一百顶高帽子,现在只剩下九十九顶了!”
本文地址:http://www.dioenglish.com/writing/story/14241.html